- This event has passed.
Northern Colorado Writers Conference Thriller Workshop
May 3 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
PRESENTER: LS Hawker
According to Statista.com, mystery/thriller/crime novels account for 47% of all fiction purchased. The thriller is the genre of our age–reflecting the fears, stresses, and break-neck pace of life in the 21st century. Learn how to get started in the genre in this workshop.
You will learn how to
- pace your novel so that readers can’t stop turning pages
- create nail-biting suspense in every chapter
- use the tropes and conventions that readers demand from the genre
- determine the difference between tension and suspense
- write the kind of dialog that ramps up tension and creates conflict
- avoid creating clichéd, mustache-twirling villains
- develop unique, flawed, active protagonists and secondary characters
- include turning points, value shifts, and polarity shifts in every scene to drive the narrative forward